Hannah Howard at Serious Eats on the Dos and Dont’s of Serving, but really, substitute “menu” for design services or “kitchen” and “menu” for other words germane to your business, and this is a list for much more than just restaurants:
- Do develop razor-sharp people-reading intuition.
- Do know your restaurant’s menu and wine list like the back of your hand.
- Do check with the kitchen.
- Don’t patronize.
- Don’t ignore anyone, even if you’re so deep in the shits you’re going to scream.
- Don’t ever tell someone “you have to order with your server,” or something to that tune.
- It’s painfully obvious that chatting with your coworkers and texting where guests can see you are big don’ts.
- Also prominent on my don’t list: throwing down a plate in front of someone.
- Do be you.
- Do enjoy yourself.
Have always thought that taking orders and working tables would be good onboarding for anyone working in client services.