What David Karp has changed this year:
1. I added a bunch of mail filters.
2. I don’t use a computer at home.
3. We don’t turn our TV on unless we’re watching something with undivided attention.
4. We replaced all of our big squishy furniture with smaller, more designed, mid-century inspired pieces.
5. I carry less.
6. I listen to much less music.
7. I’ve been trying to cook more.
8. I’ve been eating much better.
9 . I’ve been going to bed before midnight.
10. I unsubscribed from Google Alerts.
11. I’ve been much more disciplined in avoiding and ignoring pointlessly negative voices.
12. I’ve thrown out almost everything.
I’ve been doing some of the same, including only carrying the keys I need (rather than mindlessly grabbing all I own), only cooking out of one publication or by winging it (rather than from any on the shelves), and being diligent about how much sleep I get (life changing on its own). What’s especially cheering about the list is that it has a Harper’s Index-esque effect in that #5 influences #6, #7 influences #8, and #12 makes just about everything more palatable.